A whimsical look at life growing up in the small town of Waldron, Arkansas in the 1960s and 1970s, plus occasional observations from the present. Want to start at the very beginning? Click HERE.





Monday, October 10, 2011

I Meet Festus Haggen

A yearly treat back in the 1960’s was our annual trip to Fort Smith to go to the rodeo. My brother Gary and his wife would come down to Waldron to pick us up, and we would not only go to the rodeo but also get to spend the night at their house. We also got to spend some quality time with Moe, their little poodle, who was just as excited to see us as we were to see her.


One year, it was decided that, instead of them coming to Waldron to pick us up, Janet and I would ride the bus to Fort Smith, where Gary would pick us up at the bus station. Well, needless to say, we were excited beyond measure. Mama walked us down to Denver Plummer’s station, where we got our bus tickets and waited for the bus to arrive. Soon, we were on board, and on our way. We really felt big, riding that bus to Fort Smith. The driver made some kind of announcement when we got into the city, but it was hard to understand what he said. That was pretty unfortunate, because he probably said something to the effect that we would be making two stops in Fort Smith, one at the Trailways station and then at the Greyhound station. So, at the first stop, we got off and proceeded to the waiting room, expecting to see Gary waiting for us there. But there was no Gary. So, we sat down and waited. And waited. And waited. Gary, meanwhile, was frantically contacting Mama to find out why we hadn’t gotten on the bus, and then frantically trying to figure out where we were. After what seemed like a few hours but was probably about 45 minutes, Gary showed up. We were glad to see him.
Richard Long and Peter Breck, stars of The Big Valley on
ABC, sign autographs at the Fort Smith Rodeo

Now, I must confess, I wasn’t that much into livestock. No, I went to the rodeo for another reason. In those days, the rodeo always featured a big TV star as entertainment. One year we saw Fess Parker, who played Daniel Boone (a great TV show, by the way). I believe we also saw Ed Ames, who played the Indian Mingo on the same show. Another time, we saw two stars from The Big Valley, Peter Breck and Richard Long, who played brothers Nick and Jarrod Barkley. But this year, this year, I couldn’t wait. The featured entertainer was Ken Curtis, who played Festus Haggen on Gunsmoke. Festus was a particular favorite around the Yates household. So much so, in fact, that we later named a cat after him.

Of course, the Grand Entry was pretty spectacular, and the calf-roping was pretty exciting, as well as the bareback bronc riding. But I was just waiting for the entertainment, which normally occurred around the mid-point of the night. Sure enough, the announcer finally introduced Ken Curtis, who rode out on a silver horse, riding around the arena before finally coming to a stop at the stage that had been set up in the center. Much to my surprise, Festus began to sing. My jaw dropped open as I heard one of the most beautiful singing voices I have ever heard. Ken Curtis sang with a deep, rich baritone; completely opposite of the nasally twang that he gave Festus. Ken told us that he once sang with The Sons of the Pioneers, and he followed that with a rendition of the classic Tumbling Tumbleweeds. It was sublime.

Too soon, his part of the show was over. But I had my mind made up. I was going to wait in the autograph line after the rodeo was over, I was going to get the picture in my program signed, and I was going to shake Festus Haggen’s hand.

It was a long line, and it moved achingly slowly. But I was patient as I inched ever closer to the table where Ken Curtis was sitting. Finally, I was there, standing before Festus. He took the program from my hand, and signed his picture with one of those old white-barreled marker pens. He handed me back my program, and when he did, I extended my right hand toward him. He reached out, still holding the pen in his right hand, and grasped my hand firmly (or, as firmly as you can grasp a hand while holding a pen.) He looked me squarely in the eyes, and said, “Pleased to meet you, Sonny.”

Pleased to meet you too, Mr. Curtis.

Click here to view Festus singing "Tumbling Tumbleweeds."

8 comments:

  1. Comments from FaceBook:

    Jan Cottingham, Joe Folsom, Teresa Goddard and 12 others like this.

    Rosemary Perkins Enjoyed reading your story, Bill.
    October 25 at 5:08pm

    Bruce Tanner One year they had Michael Ansara, who played Cochise in the TV show of the same name. I was a lot more "taken" with his wife, Barbara Eden (who later starred in I Dream of Jeannie) than with the white guy playing an indian
    October 25 at 5:17pm

    Jeto Piles Mr. Yates I also saw Festus and Fess Parker at the Rodeo one time...I was 11 or 12...good memory...thanks for sharing..
    Bruce, Barbara Eden still looks good!! :-)
    October 25 at 5:41pm

    Bruce Tanner yes she does
    October 25 at 5:46pm

    Phil Yates Great story. At least you don't spoil your dogs..
    October 25 at 6:45pm

    Dianna Harvey Williams I remember seeing Fess Parker and Dale Robertson. I stood on the fence and touched them!!!!
    October 25 at 6:56pm

    Lorrie Hunt Davis ive been to tex ritters house. thats it. my claim to fame of dead actors.
    October 25 at 7:24pm

    Bill Yates Lorrie, John Ritter of Three's Company was Tex Ritter's son...but you probably already knew that.
    October 25 at 7:35pm

    Lorrie Hunt Davis i would have loved to have met john ritter!
    October 25 at 7:38pm

    Justin Carroll hey bill we all miss u and i miss ur grandma so much each time we go bye her house for halloween i cry
    October 25 at 7:45pm

    Rosemary Perkins My claim to fame:....I sat 2 seats away from John Davidson (Hollywood Squares)...at the Mel Tillis Christmas Show a few years ago....LOL
    and had my picture taken with M-m-m-m-e-l.~
    October 25 at 7:52pm

    Janet Musgrove Those trips were so much fun and that one was especially memorable! I imagine Mama was really in a panic to know what happened to us!
    October 25 at 7:55pm

    Danny Wright There will never be another Festus. When I was growing up in Texas we would go to the Texas Tech rodeo and there would be Festus and Doc. Oh my what a show. I remember that I couldn't believe those two had come to my town. Other years we had Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, and Tennessee Ernie Ford.
    October 25 at 9:05pm

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 01, 2012

    Love that Festus story.
    Robert
    nacluv4@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, do you remember what year that was because I went to the same event with Waldron classmate Doug Cottrell. I thought Festus rode a donkey around the arena shaking hands and I remembered Lynne Anderson singing Rose Garden, but cannot find any evidence on her being there.

    ReplyDelete